WHAT ARE THE SIDE EFFECTS OF PARLODEL® (BROMOCRIPTINE MESYLATE)?
Tell your doctor or pharmacist as soon as possible if you do not feel well while you are taking Parlodel
As with all medicines, patients treated with Parlodel® (bromocriptine mesylate) may have side effects, although not everyone gets them. Sometimes you may need medical treatment if you experience side effects.
The side effects listed below have been reported from patients taking Parlodel. Your doctor may be able to reduce some side effects by lowering your dose of Parlodel.
Do not be alarmed by this list of possible side effects. You may not experience any of them.
Ask your doctor or pharmacist to answer any questions you may have.
Tell your doctor if you notice any of the following side effects:
- Nausea or vomiting
- Dizziness or light-headedness, especially upon standing
- Drowsiness or sleepiness (if you have extreme sleepiness or sudden onset of sleep in the middle of daytime activities, tell your doctor immediately)
- Unexplained shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Sinus congestion
- Difficulty sleeping or restlessness
- Physical excitement or muscular activity associated with anxiety, or mental tension such as pacing, tapping of feet, or another repeated action
- Feeling unsteady on your feet
- Dry mouth, metallic taste
- Sore eyes or blurred vision
- Hair loss
- Burning sensation in the breasts
- Leg cramps or burning sensation in the feet
- Painful, tingling or pale fingers and toes when exposed to cold
- Buzzing, hissing, whistling, ringing, or other persistent noise in the ears
- Uncontrolled body movements (such as uncontrollable twitching, jerking, or writhing)
- An irregular, slow, or fast heart beat
- Heartburn, recurrent stomach pain
- Swelling of the arms or feet due to fluid buildup
- Sudden watery discharge from your nose
- Skin rash or itchiness
- Lower back pain, swollen legs, and pain when passing urine
- Behavioral changes such as self-harm, urge to gamble, failure to resist temptation or impulse, or increased sexual desire
- Strange or disturbing thoughts or moods
Tell your doctor immediately or go to the emergency at the nearest hospital if you develop:
- Severe persistent headache or vision problems
- Some women who have taken Parlodel to prevent breast milk production have had seizures, high blood pressure, stroke, heart attack, or mental disorder. It is not known whether these problems are caused by Parlodel or are complications of giving birth.
- Any signs of stomach bleeding such as red or black bowel movements, bloody diarrhea, bleeding from the back passage, or vomiting blood
- Some people being treated with high doses of Parlodel for acromegaly have had serious stomach bleeding.
- Confusions, hallucinations or sudden sleep attack
- Some people being treated with Parlodel for Parkinson’s disease, especially in high doses, have experienced mental changes.
- Muscle stiffness, agitation, very high fever, or heart problems
- Wheezing, cough, or other breathing problems; chest pain; back pain; swelling of the feet; or kidney problems while taking Parlodel
When Parlodel is used for a long time to treat Parkinson’s disease, it can affect the lungs, heart, or abdomen. Your doctor may ask you to have regular chest x-rays to see if you are developing any problems.
Some people may have other side effects not yet known or mentioned.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to Validus Pharmaceuticals LLC at 1-866-982-5438.
The safety and efficacy of bromocriptine for the treatment of prolactin-secreting pituitary adenomas has been established in patients age 16 to adult. No data are available for bromocriptine use in children under the age of 8 years.
Clinical studies have not been conducted in a sufficient number of patients to determine whether the elderly respond differently from younger subjects. However, other reported clinical experiences have not identified differences in response or tolerability between elderly and younger patients.
The most commonly reported symptoms associated with acute Parlodel overdose are
- Severe hypotension
- Malaise, lethargy, drowsiness,
- Confusion , delusions, and hallucinations
- Repetitive yawning
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help Line at 1-800-222-1222.